A fascinating history
According to history books from the 16th century, the estate on which the manor stands was originally called Björsätter. At that time, these vast lands were owned by Birger Nilsson Grip, who was a descendant of Bo Jonsson Grip, one of the greatest landowners in Sweden’s history.
The estate was inherited by Birger’s son, Councillor of State Mauritz Birgersson, after whose death in 1592 it was passed on to his daughter, Ebba. She named the property “Mauritzberg” after her father.
The Manor's history since the 1500 's
Birger Nilsson Grips Björsätter in the 1500 ‘s
The Manor Mauritzberg, originally known as Björsätter, dates back to the 1500 century. It belonged, as several other farms in the parish, Birger Nilsson Grip. The farms were handed over to the son, the Councisman Mauritz Birgersson Grip, who died in 1592. During his time the castle’s northern wing was built. His daughter Ebba, married to Privy Council Svante Banér, inherited the estate and named it after his father.
Few mansions have such a stately location as Mauritzberg, which stands on a beautiful cliff at Bråviken, with views of water and blue forests. Mauritzberg’s location at Bråviken was very readily available for centuries, when the journeys went faster at sea than to land. Despite its favorable position, Mauritzberg has never been a military fortress.
The main building was built in the 1600 ‘s
Ebba Grips Dotter Elisabeth married Baron Erik Sparre, who started the castle building. The facades of the wings learn to originate from that time. Sparre sold the castle to Claude Roquette, knighted
That was Queen Kristina’s Court tailor.
The castle was burned down by the Russians in 1719, but was re-built by Count Claes Ekeblad, the grandson of Hägerstjärnas. He was married to Hedvig Mörner of Morlanda. The castle was completed in 1725 and looks essentially the same today.
The castle’s architectural adorations are attributed to Carl Hårleman (1700-1753). On the bridge railing are beautiful iron urns with the initials H E S R. It means Hedvig Eleonora Suecia Regina, Swedish queen from the 1700 ‘s who was married to Karl X Gustav. The iron urns are made on Näfveqvarnsbruk at Bråviken, about a mile from Mauritzberg.
Over the entrance to the main building is a carved stone kartusch with the Grip-gun, encountered in connection with restoration work at the mid-1800 century. The stone is a reinvented remnant of the oldest stone house decoration.
At the top, above the main door, there is a bell room and a flagrum. The clockwork is from the 1200 ‘s and the watch face has only one pointer. The glockenspiel is started with 2 heavy plummet, which are pulled up every day. One the solder runs the clockwork, the second Bell game.
The castle’s northern wing was built together with the main building of Count farmer as late as the 1910 ‘s. It is said that he did not want to smush his shoes when he went to the Hunter’s Hall to take his daily meals. The castle’s later inhabitants, guests and staff have been grateful for the practical construction of the count.
From Kulturhem to conference hotel in the 1900 ‘s
In 1912 the castle was bought by the count and writer Birger Mörner, who made Mauritzberg a cultural home. He wrote here his novel “Bråvallhus”, which is a romanticism version of the castle’s history. The semicircular staircase leading to the main building was built by District Judge Sjöberg in the 1920 ‘s.
Among the castle’s later countless owners are the Luxor industry which had the castle as a holiday home for the staff 1947-1979 as well as Zanda AB which carried out a thorough rebuilding and renovation of the castle’s two wings during the years 1983-84.
Since Ebba Grip and queen Kristina, women have had great influence over the castle’s development. In 1990 the castle was bought by Finnish Style Invest Oy, owned by the civil economist Liisa Lipsanen. She has decorated the castle as a aristokrathem, and lovingly preserved the original, historic environment. In 1994-95 the castle’s main building and wings have been restored externally with the assistance of the Swedish link office. The facades have regained the color they had during the Karoliner era of the 1600 ‘s. Slottsgården has been replanned and had a coating of limestone rocks and cobblestones. In the former mill building you have decorated a castle café.
In 1993, the castle’s old stable building was restored to a six-metre-tall, valvated gallery. Exhibitions and other cultural events, which Liisa Lipsanen has arranged in the Castle Gallery, have attracted audiences from near and far. She has saved an old Swedish cultural home and made it the living meeting point that the plant is today.
Owners during the 1500´s and 1600´s century
1565–1592 Councillor and Colonel Mauritz Birgersson Grip, who was married to Countess Edla Stensdotter Lewenhaupt.
1666–1672 Ebba Grip’sdaughter, Elisabeth Banér, who was married to the county governor Baron Erik Sparre, started building the original main building.
1666-1672 Daughter Elisabeth Banér, married to the county governor baron Erik Sparre, started building the original main building.
1672–1682 Claude Roquette, who was raised to nobility as Hägerstierna, finished the construction of the main building.
1682–1697 Christina Hägerstierna, who was married to the envoy Count Johan Ekeblad
Owners during the 1700´s and 1800´s century
1697–1737 Councillor and Field Marshal Count Claes Ekeblad, who was married to Hedvig Mörner, rebuilt the manor in 1725 after the Russians burned it down during the war in 1719.
1737–1753 Colonel Count Christer Ekeblad.
1753–1763 General Count Claes Christopher Ekeblad, who was married to Barbro Oxenstierna of Korsholm and Vasa.
1763–1769 Chamberlain Gerard G. de Besche, the owner of Näfveqvarns Works on the other side of Bråviken bay and many other estates.
1769–1778 His daughter, Helena Christina, who was married to General Christian Joachim Klingspor.
1778–1814 Cavalry Captain Gert Adolf Kligspor, who was married to his cousin, Katarina Maria de Besche.
1814–1836 Judge Advocate Otto Didrik Wästfeldt, who was married to Ulrika Maria de Wahl.
1836–1847 Lieutenant Baron Conrad Ribbing, who was married to Eva Aurora Reuterskiöld of Gimo and Rånäs.
1847–1848 Wholesaler Johannes Wikström from Valdemarsvik.
1848–1856 Secretary of State Gustaf Norström.
1856–1860 Cavalry Captain Lars Carl Fabian af Segerström, who was married to Hilda Octavia Geijer.
1860–1891 District Judge Otto Johan Frithiof Holm.
The 1900 's until today
1891–1904 Wood sellers J.A. Samuelsson and P.J. Petterson.
1904–1912 Count Christer Bonde.
1912–1918 Writer and Diplomat Count Birger Mörner.
1918–1921 Wholeseller Erik Asp.
1921–1924 Chamberlain Rudolf Ahsell.
1924–1932 Lawyer Helmer Alsom Sjöberg.
1932–1942 Sara Johanna “Hanna” Lindmark, born Nilsdotter, who ran the Margareta schools all over Sweden.
1942–1947 Estate Owner John Eriksson and Captain Ahlsell. They sold one third of the estate’s fixtures.
1947–1979 Factory owner Axel Holstensson of Luxor Industri AB used the manor as a vacation home for Luxor’s employees.
1979–1986 Zanda AB, used the manor as a venue for organized courses.
1986–1990 Real Estate Broker Per Iwers ran the manor as a treatment home.
1990-– Civil economist Liisa Lipsanen, Style Invest Oy, has renovate and restore the Manor House to a complete resort with hotel, restaurants, conferences and golf.
This is Mauritzbergs Slott
Resort developments since 1990
This is how nice it is
See & Do
So much to discover
Work with us
Do you want to be part of guest experiences?
During your stay
Good to know during your stay with us